A health inspector was denied access to a Tampa McDonald’s kitchen and was only allowed to enter after the inspector threatened to file an administrative complaint. Ouch. That wouldn’t be terribly disturbing if it weren’t for the incredibly gross conditions that were found inside. Notably 25 to 30 dead roaches and five more live ones. GAH! WTSP News in Tampa, Florida investigated this McDonald’s after a customer filed a complaint in May. That poor sap was sitting in the McDonald’s in question when a live roach fell from the ceiling and into their chicken nuggets.
The health inspector was eventually allowed access. When the news crew visited the McDonald’s a few weeks later, the camera crew was not allowed to film the kitchen. They did find ”numerous flying insects” around the restaurant, as well as food on the floor (it was just after the lunch rush so the news stations does note they could probably be forgiven for that.)
McDonald’s issued a what you would imagine is a typical statement given the situation. They go on to explain that the company cares deeply about cleanliness and safety, and that the inspector’s blocked visit “was the result of confusion between the inspector and McDonald’s protocol.” Given it was only 20 minutes between refusal of entry and getting in the door, I’d say that’s at least plausible. No way to explain away the roaches though, that’s just nasty.
Here’s are some of the critical violations the inspector observed (Yuck!):
- Grease accumulating under the cooking equipment
- Food and standing water on the floor
- Toxic item near the utensils
- 25-30 dead roaches under the front service counter
- 5 live roaches near the kitchen sink
- Ceiling soiled with accumulated food debris